Monday, February 9, 2015

2 Years, 3 Months, 26 Days and 11 Hours (Part 3)

Posted on 02/09/2015



"Man!  This Jodeci CD is nice!  "Forever My Lady" and "Stay" are my favorite cuts."  I am talking to my boys; Parker, Heard and Yates.  We are sitting in Heards' and I room, talking about our girlfriends.  "I'm about to go call my girl right now", I remember Heard saying.  Minutes later, I hear a knock on the door.  Parker turned the music down so that I can answer the door.  It was Staff Sergeant Minnifield.  "What's going on Staff Sergeant?  What did we do now?"  The look on his face told me that something was seriously wrong.  "Redditt, the Japanese have decided to charge you."  WAIT WHAT?  "Charge me for what?  I didn't do shit!"  "Redditt, they are charging you with leaving the scene of a crime, resisting arrest, attempted assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct."  "You can't be serious Staff Sergeant."  But the look on his face told it all.  "Redditt, the Japanese also believe that you guys are a flight risk, so they want to take you guys into custody immediately."  "How in the hell did a day of listening to music in my barracks turn into this?", I remember thinking.  "The Marine Corps told the Japanese that we would take you into custody and that we would lock you up in our jail on Camp Hansen.  So I'm gonna need you to pack up some things, so I can take you up to Camp Hansen to jail."

Yokosuka, Japan, sometime in 1994 
Oh how my life has changed since that dreadful day.  I am in Solitary Confinement again for 30 more glorious days.  "This is it, God, I can't take it anymore.  You say you answer prayers. So, why the fuck aren't you answering mine?  I am sick of this bullshit!  Either you answer my prayers or tonight I'm taking this fucking sheet and I'm hanging myself."  These are my words, as I am sitting Indian style, facing and talking to the wall, the tears continue flowing down my face.  One of the prisoners committed suicide yesterday and Punk ass thought it was funny.  "Redditt San, when are we gonna find you hanging?", he says laughing.  "You are a Bitch you know that?  When I was whooping your ass you were screaming like a bitch but now you want to be tough in front of your goons?"  Damn!  I fall into his trap.  The trap that I said I wouldn't fall into again.  After the last 60 day stint, I decided that was it for me.  But here I am again for 30 days for disrespecting Punk ass. 

Okinawa, Japan, sometime in 1992
"1 year and 9 months of hard labor", the judge said.  I stood there in shock as the judge was rambling on for what seem like hours.  How the hell did 4 misdemeanor charges turn into almost 2 fucking years in prison?  These same charges in the US would have been dropped or I would have got a pat on the wrist at most.  Unfortunately we are in Japan and not America.  So for our "crimes", I got 1 year and 9 months.  My other buddy got 2 years for robbing the cab driver and my other two buddies didn't get charged at all, nor should they have.  I truly believe that the Japanese offered the Americans a deal.  I believe they said, "give us two and we will let two go.".  But, that is my opinion.  I have no proof of that.  The Japanese police took my buddy and myself into custody immediately.  As we arrive at the jail in Okinawa, the two investigators greet us.  "I told you, you would pay.  You are ours now."  A right hook to the face.  Damn!  What a greeting.   I'm here less than one minute and I'm already getting my ass whooped.  I see why they say the life expectancy for an American is less than 6 months.  "You were very disrespectful when we were interviewing you, Redditt San.  I promise you, we will teach you some respect here."

Yokosuka, Japan, 1994 
"Redditt San, your brother tried to visit you and we told him, "No!"."  Punk ass begins to tell me, grinning from ear to ear.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, my brother was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, in the Navy.  "Wow, my brother!", I thought.  I almost forgot I had a brother or family for that matter.   Let  me back up and explain.  You see, in Japan, you can't have personal visits and you can only write or receive 1 to 4 letters a month, depending on your behavior. Needless to say, I only ever received 5 letters the entire time I was locked up.  So, I was disconnected from my family and friends.  "Fuck him!  I don't want to see him or any of them for that matter!  I have been here for almost two fucking years and I haven't heard from them.  Only one letter from my Mom, two from my sister and two from my step mom.  So, they all can kiss my ass!"  I am angry at the world at this point.  "I just can't understand how everyone has forgotten about me.  Ok no, no don't go there," I tell myself.  "What is the goal? To get out of here alive!  So we have no time to dwell on what is or isn't going on in the outside world.  Stay focused.  I miss my son so much!  I haven't seen him in almost 3 years. He was 2 months the last time I saw him.  Now he is...let's see.  Wow!  He just turned 3.  I wonder what he looks like now.  I wonder if he is..." "Redditt San!"  My thoughts are interrupted by Punk ass.  "You know you aren't gonna make it out of here alive, right?  We are gonna wait until it's almost time for you to leave and than we are gonna kill you.", he breaks into laughter.  Punk ass being Punk ass.  He has being making these statements since I have been here.  They don't even faze me anymore.  Back to my thoughts, "if I stay focused and don't let him get to me, I will be out of here in about 5 months.  8 more days and I will be out of Solitary confinement."  Yesterday Punk Ass really tried to test me by bringing a picture of my son to me and tearing it up right in my face.  "Redditt San", he said, "you have mail!  It's a picture of your son!"   He stands there tearing it up, without even showing it to me.  "This low down motherfucker!  I haven't seen my son in almost 3 years!  I wouldn't know him from Adam if I saw him and the one picture that I do receive...this devil rips it up in my face!  Stay calm, Sheldon, this is only a test.  I tell myself, I will not let him get to me. 

5 months later.... 
Tomorrow is the big day.  I am finally getting out of here. 2 years 3 months 26 days and 11 hours. I am finally free. I am going home!"  Or so I thought... The bullshit that happens next..... To be continued....

Copyright February 2015 by Sheldon Redditt

No comments:

Post a Comment