Wednesday, October 8, 2014

One Box, One Drop, Not in My House

Posted by Guest Blogger ~ Amy Redditt on 10/08/2014



“I have darker skin. I have a nice, interesting grade of hair. I connect with Caucasian. I connect with Asian. I connect with black. I connect with Indian. I connect with each culture.”
“You are a melting pot in one body,” Oprah observed.  “Isn’t that what America’s supposed to be?," so said, Raven-Symoné.  This is what I heard when I listened to a portion of her interview, with Oprah on, Where are They Now?  She preceded this, by saying, that she is tired of being labelled.  She said, that she doesn't want to be labelled as gay, but a human who loves humans.  She stated that she's not an African American. She's an American.  Oprah went on to say that Raven is going to get a lot of flack for saying she's not an African American.

Check One, Check Two, Check Three
Someone sent me the link to this interview and that's where it began.  I told Sheldon, that I totally got what Raven-Symoné was saying.  He countered by saying, that she is wrong because he took it as she was saying, that she's not black.  First, let me say, I think he totally missed the boat there.  I don't believe that is what she meant at all.  He went on to say, that when she listed all the things she connected with, black was not even the first and that you have to mark one on an application when you apply somewhere and that it is just dumb to not see that.  While I get what he is saying about the applications, that's where I begin to see a problem.  People don't fit into one little box anymore, especially not in America.  Even I, honestly don't, although to the naked eye, I do. Of course, I know I am white and to check Caucasian, but I also know that I'm German, Irish, Native American, French and so on.  But, my daughter is all of those things and half black, which is also made up of whatever my husbands' family is made up of, but directly she is half white and half black.  Personally, although I've heard the "one drop rule", I think she has just as much right to check white as she does black.  To discount her Caucasian heritage is ludicrous to me just because of some "rule".  Her Caucasian family is very much a part of her life and not to be discounted ever, on an application, a doctors' check in information sheet or anywhere else.  And for that matter, I see our current President no differently.  I know that's what someone will bring up and although I get that he looks black, I also know there is a reality bigger than that.



Roots Run Deep in Louisiana
Raven-Symoné talked about not knowing which part of Africa her family is from, but that she knows she has roots in Louisiana.  That, I believe was her whole point.  She knows where she comes from and Louisiana is it for her.  She identifies with memories and an upbringing in an American state and therefore only wants to be called an American.  I also get that, American, is a nationality, not a race.  That being said, it brings me back to my original point, one box doesn't define her.  You can look at her and see that she has lighter skin than some blacks, but definitely darker skin than a Caucasian person.  You can look at Ravens' eyes and see a different shape, you can notice her hair and see that, all of that together makes her a melting pot.  If she doesn't want to be defined by one box, who are we to judge her?   It seems to me, that it would be easier if everyone would stop judging and labeling people.  Also, I'd like to point out that many people stated that what Oprah said, was race baiting or promoting racism, I beg to differ.  She was simply stating what she knew was coming, a backlash because a huge part of America can not fathom, not categorizing someone.  She said, she would get a lot of flack for it and she has already.  Sheldon even went on to say that would kill her career.  That,  I think, is crazy.  She's simply embracing her truth, what she knows and what she feels defines her.  There is nothing at all wrong with not wanting to be labelled by someone else, especially someone that doesn't know you, your life or your history.  This is my truth.  What's yours?

3 comments:

  1. So after reading this post I see that both you and Sheldon agree to disagree and that's fine I understand and I absolutely get your point on the labeling as I get his point on race differentiation. But to me what people label us to be and whom we identify with can both be similar and yet different at the same time and before I sound oxymoronic let me explain. See, back in 1991 I went to a family reunion on my mother's side of the family, as of at the time not knowing my father or his family, this was my first understanding of whom or what I come from. I came to find out that I'm only like five generations or so removed from being both Creek and Choctaw Indian and African Indentured servant, why not slave you ask well since my great great grandfather was one of the first "Black's" to own a model T in the 20's slave isn't what I was picturing. So now that's just on one side of my family. Well first let me say this my last name is Peeler and it's not a common black name per say. Well somewhere in 98 I met both Sheldon and Amy and let's just say she was the first white Peeler I'd ever seen no lie. So then it made me question where did this name come from, well after limited research at the time, I found that the last name as far as America stand came from the Pennsylvania area. The name actually started out as Beihler, doesn't sound African to me, and actually came from Germany, and over time became Peeler through misspellings and mispronunciations. Well, later I come to find out my father is from Pennsylvania so that's when I had an Aha! moment. So as time past the more research I do I come to find out that my great grandmother on my father's side could pass for a white person even on clear day so obviously she's mixed and considering the times means that on my father's I have Caucasian directly in my DNA to where my hair isn't the tightest of curls. Now I said all that to point out even though on the outside I look straight African-American I have some of the very same DNA that Amy has in her, so who then do I identify with? People have stereotyped me for my outward appearance as I even mark Black on those check boxes to make it simple so it's easy to say I identify with other Black's and I do at times but sometimes I identify with the same White blood that courses through my veins. All in all does it matter, I think not for most Americans unless immigrated from another country most of us are mutts and I mean all of North America. So as long as you are aware of who you are and where you come from labels don't matter. Its all relative cause labels are merely an excuse to not discover or seek what's on the inside. I could sell water as Vodka from town to town and be very wealthy as long as I never make a second visit. Great post Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Omar! I wish you would've discussed all this with me back then. There is a family genealogy book circulating in my family and our family's name was also traced back to the German name, Beihler. The story was told to me that our name was changed as soon as we set foot on US soil due to the misunderstanding/mispronunciation as well. However, I do know that my roots directly trace back to Idaho. I have a great Aunt that has collected much of what is in the genealogy book and if you are ever interested I could put you in touch, perhaps even find out if I can get you a book. I do also know that there are some more Peeler's somewhere in Mississippi, maybe in the Oxford area. I don't remember the details other than I have been asked many times if I am related to a Judge Peeler. So, I am assuming they are white as well. I haven't ever met a black Peeler before you and of course the one that played basketball (I think it was) and of course I didn't meet him. But I remember that was probably around the same time as I met you and I remember thinking, how odd..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny that you mention the basketball player I always grew up wondering if I was related to him as he has some similar facial characteristics. Yeah a name like Peeler isn't common for Black's or Whites so I truly believe there has to be a distant relation somewhere my mom also knew about the Judge.I heard very often growing up from my mother don't be surprised if you end up marrying someone white because your father's mother looked almost white and her mom damn near whitelol. I couldn't understand or justify her thinking but she was right and to me it's more about what I like regardless of color the ladies just happened to be white. Overall though each person should be taken for whom they are not the shell they reside in...

    ReplyDelete