Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Soldier and A Marine, Like Father, Like Son: A Salute to All Veterans

Posted by~ Sheldon Redditt on 11/11/2014

    

On this Veterans Day, I would first like to thank all that have served and to give honor to the ones that have given the ultimate sacrifice.  We live in the greatest country in the world.  I especially want to thank my father today for his 20 plus years of service in The United States Army.  I, myself served 4 years in The United States Marine Corps.  So, Semper Fi to all my devil dogs, as well. 

When I was growing up I always admired my father.  It wasn't just because he was my father but because of how he carried himself.  When my Dad walks into a room, you feel his presence, his confidence and his mannerisms are like no other.  I always tried to carry myself, just like him.  I think a lot of this came from his serving in the Army.  My Dad taught me, through his actions, the principles of manhood.  He taught me to always have respect for others, to look a person in the eye when you are talking and to give a firm handshake.   He also taught me how to tie a tie, to always open doors for ladies and to be a gentleman.  I know that serving in the Army, he learned a lot of these principles.  I thank him for passing the principles on to me and for serving the country that I love for so many years, without complaint.  The four years I served, in The United States Marine Corps., were some of the best years of my life.  I will never forget getting off that bus at MCRD SAN DIEGO.  I was scared out of my mind!  The yelling and screaming of the Drill Instructor still rings in my ears.  I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life!  Those 18 weeks of boot camp were the best and worst weeks of my life.  That experience taught me, that it's not about me, but the team.  It taught me to always take pride in what you do and to have honor and respect.  

Could This Be The Answer We Have Been Looking For?
I think that the United States should require all males to serve at least 1 year in the armed services.  I think it would solve a lot of this countries problems.  A lot of other countries require this and I think it would be a great idea for the US!  The potential for it to successfully lay the foundation for a young mans life and directly effect the negative consequences of them entering manhood on this country, that we are too frequently seeing today, are profound.  What do I mean by this?  Structure, discipline and job skills learned in the military would reduce crime rates and thus lower the prison population, saving the tax payers money.  If these young men already have families, these families will be more likely to stay together and their sons will have a man around to teach them the core values of manhood.  The military teaches to honor and respect women and upholds the sanctity of marriage.  This foundation could possibly restore what has been lost in the success rate of the American family, which is an issue that needs to be addressed.  People wonder why kids are suddenly so out of control, but it's obvious to me.  So many of them are inadvertently fatherless because these young men haven't been taught to stay and fight to hold their family together.  The military could help to restore a sense of purpose for so many and teach both honor and respect for the common man.  It could teach them discipline in their work ethics, hopefully reducing the instability of the work force of today.  My hope is that it would have an effect by strengthening companies through added stability and allowing workers to earn larger pay checks based upon tenure, thus boosting the economy.  There are so May possibilities as to how serving could improve the America that we are living in today.

                        

digress, I remember when I finally graduated boot camp my Dad drove down from Fort Ord.  We drove from San Diego to Monterey, CA.  This was, by far, my favorite time, I ever spent with my father.  We talked about everything!  He told me about his Army experiences, how they were the best experiences he had known and how the Army shaped his life.  I understood, years later, what he meant because some of the best years of my life were when I was stationed in Japan.  I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world.  My Dad, like myself, loves this country.  I am so thankful that he passed on to me, the principles that the Army instilled in him, so that I could also pass them on to my children.  I remember my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Matthews, asking the class what they wanted to be when they grew up and my answer was, like my Daddy.  He happened to be a Sergeant in the Army at the time.  That put the biggest smile on her face and she said that was the best answer she had ever heard.  So, on this day as we give thanks to all the Veterans, I want to thank the Veteran who has had the biggest impact on my life, my Father.  Dad, thank you for all that you have taught me through words but most importantly through your actions.  I haven't talked to my Dad in a while. I'm gonna pick up the phone today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment