Saturday, November 29, 2014

Cooning for White People or An Inspiration to Many?

Posted on 11/29/2014


Am I Cooning or Inspiring, you decide.  I am writing this post simply for the family and so-called friends that think I have; so-called sold out, forgot where I came from, am "cooning for Masa", that say I hate being black, that I hate black people and the countless other things I have been called or accused of, since starting this blog a little over 2 months ago.  When I first started this blog, I stated that some of the topics would be controversial at times and while I welcome all comments, agreeing or disagreeing, I would not stand for hate.  From some of you, hate is all I have received.  Not only have I been attacked, but my wife, whom has nothing to do with my blog or my opinions, has been attacked as well.  Now, I am going to address this issue one time and one time only. 

I Apparently HATE Black People
Lets start with my hatred of black people.  I have devoted the last 20 years of my life helping people.  That is not only my passion, but it is my calling.  This is what I was born to do.  80% of the people I have worked with are black.  You say that I hate being black!  Can you be serious?  I will willingly compare my record with any of you in regard to what I have done for black people.  I've never felt the need to broadcast how I attempt to help out, but I feel it is necessary.  One can only accept the bashing so long before they feel the need to correct it.  Over the years, I have mentored and counseled gang members, spoken at countless schools in hopes of discouraging kids from joining gangs and taught primarily black young men, the principles of manhood.  I have taught them that there is no excuse, for not being successful.  I have worked with young girls to try to steer them in the direction that their absent fathers should have steered them.  I have tried to teach them how to be respectable young ladies and not to accept just anything from a boy.  I love black people.  Let me say that again.  I love black people and I love being black!  I dare any of you to question that, based upon the 5 or 6 blogs that I have written, that you perceived to be negative about black people.  What about all the others that I have written on marriage, friendship, about my father and about the uplifting of people?  No, you only focus on what you think is negative.  You have the right to disagree with me but be respectful.  I haven't been anything less, to any of you. 

I Am A Sellout
I'm a sellout.  Really?  Well, let me tell you about this sellout.  I can't count the people that I have run into that tell me that I helped change their lives.  They've said that if it wasn't for me, they would surely be dead or in prison.  I ran into a police officer a couple of months ago in Memphis, who came up to me in tears to thank me for saving his life.  He told me that a conversation I had with him when he was 16, changed his life forever.  He said that I told him that if he isn't successful in life, it would be his own fault.  Apparently I told him, "yes, your mother and father abandoned you, but are you gonna use that as a excuse to fail?"  He is 28 now and happily married with 2 kids.  I didn't remember that kid from Adam but he remembered me. I have countless stories like this.  I don't go around bragging that, I did this and I did that, but my record speaks for itself.  While the majority of you go to work, come home and get on social media to attack me.  I am putting in the work, to try to help save lives, black and white.  But, I'm the sellout?  I'm trying to fix the problem, not be part of it.  Amy and I work with the homeless, giving them our time and money, trying to help them get back on the right path, in hopes that we can help them find the spark they need to get into a better position.  We even take our daughter with us, so she can learn the importance of service to others and to always help the unfortunate, that want/need help.   I'm working with a young man now, that in all of my 20 years of doing this work, I haven't seen a kid as bright and talented as him.  A former NFL quarterback contacted me and said he HAS to work with this kid because he is something special.  This quarterback offered this kid a scholarship to a private school, that costs $25,000 a year.  And wouldn't you know, this kid doesn't want to go because he said he doesn't want to be around all those white folks.  This kids' sorry ass parents smoked weed with him, from the time he was 9 until he was 13.  He is 14 now and has been removed from their care for a year, but because they told him not to trust white folks, he doesn't want to seize what could be the biggest opportunity of his life.  This is what I deal with on a day to day basis.  Now I have to show this young man, that what he knows as his normal, is not the norm at all.  

Amnesia Abounds
Don't forget where I came from!  I didn't develop a case of amnesia!  I can never forget where I came from.  Listen, I will not be defined by some small town in Arkansas.  I have lived in many other places that helped shape who I am.  You can't put me in a box  because I don't fit.  You want to hold me to my past, saying stuff like he used to hate white people.  He called them devils and now look at him, he is married to one of them.  The way that I thought 20 years ago has changed and rightfully so.  What intelligent person thinks the same way at 43, as he did at 23?  And if you find one, I can guarantee you, that person isn't successful!  Some of you have put my personal business on social media.  I can only assume that you thought, that I was ashamed of my past or that my white friends didn't know certain things about me, so your disclosure would turn them away.  I still remained respectful.  I have nothing to hide.  My past is just that, my past.  We ALL have one, but I wouldn't dare put your past shortcomings on social media, no matter what.  I am not ashamed of ANYTHING in my past because it was either a learned lesson or a life experience.  I am who I am and I was who I was and I am cool with both of them. 

Cooning For Whitey
Now, as far as me COONING for white people and not pointing out their wrongs.  I have on many occasions pointed out their wrongs and have even done a blog about it.  How can I not speak on the wrongs that white people have done and continue to do to black people?  You really believe that I think that racism doesn't exist?  Are you that foolish?  I have, like every other black person in America, witnessed this first hand. Hell, I witnessed it last night at Target, when a lady saw me coming and snatched her purse out of the basket and put it on her shoulder.  I have been stopped by white police officers on numerous occasions.  So, for me to think it doesn't exist, would be crazy.  Now, here is the difference for me.  I don't dwell on whether white people are racist toward me or not.  That is totally their problem.  I know that I have to be successful in spite of that.  This is what I teach and have taught to the hundreds of kids that I have come In contact with.  Yes, racism exists, always has, always will, but that is not an excuse for failure.  Now my blogs are made up of my opinions and also based on facts.  You can say all you want, but show me where I am wrong.  I have said this on many occasions, I will debate history with any of you, where it is relevant to the subject at hand.  I not only know MY history, but that of white people, Asian people and others as well.  I don't just say anything, just to be saying it.  If you have a issue with me, pick up the phone and call me because you better believe that if I had a problem with you, I would pick up the phone and call you.  It seems that some of you just like to be negative and display your insecurities by displaying for the world the latest thing you got or did.  But then want to make a claim that I'm the one that needs therapy?  And I'm to assume that's meant as an insult?  I think therapy is a great idea for anyone and definitely not a bad idea for someone that's always overcompensating for something, by flaunting their stuff or accomplishments.



I Will Keep Uplifting, You Can Too
In closing, you are more than welcome to disagree with me.  I was hoping my blog would spark a dialogue, which it has successfully done.  But, it's my blog and there is no call for attacking my wife, especially when she hasn't done anything to any of you.  For you to post a video, directing it toward her, someone you haven't even met, was wrong.  How is that uplifting?  Since you say you pride yourself on that.  But I digress, you say you pride yourself on uplifting black people, not all people.  If you disagree with me, that's ok, but to attack her for no reason, when she hasn't said one bad thing about you, that was totally uncalled for.  I for one, choose to use my voice to uplift ALL PEOPLE and to speak truth based upon what I know.  I have so much more to say, but I am going to re-devote my time to the Tamir Rice blog I was writing, involving a young black boy that was gunned down by a white police officer, in Cleveland, OH.  Don't ever question me on who I am.  I have hundreds that can tell you who I am and what I mean to them.  My record speaks for itself and I would put it up against any of yours.  I am making a difference in this world, not just talking about it.  So, while you are busy discussing who you think I am.  This is who I am!  A coon for white people or a inspiration for many.  I think, no I know, I am the latter. This is my absolute truth!  What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment