Friday, November 7, 2014

The Minimum Wage Debate: A Hand Up not a Hand Out

Posted by ~ Sheldon Redditt on 11/7/2014



When I was 15 years old, I got my first job at the commissary on base bagging groceries for tips.  I loved that job because every night I would go home with money in my pocket.  I would bag as fast as I could so more people would come to my line.  I made good money or so I thought, until the day, that would forever change my perspective, the day I talked to my friend Shawn.  Shawn revealed to me that he was making double the money that I was.  I didn't quite understand how that could be because Shawn was a much slower worker than I.  Shawn explained to me that the secret to him making double the money was that he took pride in his job and did it right.  I was a speed demon and would put the eggs with the milk, just to get the customers though the line. Shawn told me that while I was getting a dollar or two from my customers, he was getting 5 bucks per customer because they liked the fact that he took pride in his job.  He did it right and they didn't end up with cracked eggs when they arrived home.  Shawn explained to me that people pay you according to what they think you are worth.  This lesson stuck with me, even to this very day. 

Now, what does this have to do with the minimum wage debate?  Well, how many times have you drove up to your local fast food restaurant, only to be greeted by a very rude person?  How many times have you visited your local supermarket and encountered nothing but rude employees on every visit?  Sometimes, I think that they are being paid exactly what they are worth.  I don't think these people deserve to make $15 an hour for giving horrible customer service.  That's not to say because you choose that industry, that you should never make a good salary, but I believe you should earn it.  I don't think walking in off the street with nothing at all, or nothing worth anything on your resume, that you should automatically be given what some people have strived to get for years.  Now, when I was a teenager, I didn't expect to make a ton of money on my first job. I knew that would come later, after I worked hard and earned it.  

I think the problem with raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is that a lot of people won't strive to finish high school or go to college.  Where is the incentive?  They could easily go down to the local McDonald's and make $15 bucks an hour.  Our generation knew the value of hard work and to strive to always do better and try harder.  We knew that the finer things in life would come later in life, not next week.  I think this generation is missing that. Now, I understand that people have to make a living and that some companies do pay so called slave wages with no medical benefits, but at the same time who's fault is that?  You knew the pay when you took the job.  You made the decision to take the job with low pay and no benefits.  Now, until you can do better that's ok but a lot of people get complacent and never strive to do better.  

If the minimum wage is raised to $15 an hour, who do you think will pick up the tab for their higher wages?  We will!  The companies will raise their prices on goods and services, so they can still make a big profit.  A gallon of milk would go from 4 bucks a gallon, to 6 bucks a gallon.  All goods would go up, to offset the cost of higher wages.  So, then you are looking at inflation of everything, to go along with the increase in minimum wage.  And then to make matters worse, those people at the bottom of the totem pole, are still in the same boat.  They make more, but they are spending more.  And as far as the people that strived to get a good eduction, well their wages haven't increased, but everything else has inflated, so ultimately they are the ones paying the price.  Their once good or great wage is worth less, despite the fact that they worked so hard to earn it.  Their dollar doesn't go as far anymore.  Now, is it fair to the average person who has worked hard in life to lose their buying power?  I think not!  While those that have neglected to put forth an effort basically have a good wage handed to them, which is now ultimately worth no more than what they are making now.

For those that want a better wage, I feel that if you aren't making enough money on one job, get another one or work a second job.  Look into finishing your education, so you can get a better paying job.  Whatever you need to do to provide for your family, do it.  It's not fair for the common man to have to pick up this tab and be clear that's what is going to happen.  These companies are always going to make big profits and we the consumer are ALWAYS going pay the cost because we need the goods they are selling.  Sure, we will complain about it, but we will pay the high prices.

Now, don't forget the small businesses out there.  A multitude of them are going to go under because they can't afford to pay a $15 minimum wage, especially starting out.  Do we want an America that's full of only big corporations?  This is supposed to be the land of opportunity.  America is supposed to be a place where you can make a better life for yourself, no matter your social status is at birth.  America was founded on the premise that if you work hard, you can be successful.  Raising the minimum wage will not make it impossible to start a small business, but it won't be as easy for someone that is not already well off.  I totally believe that if you work hard, you can be successful.  I don't believe in hand outs.  It's okay to give a hand up, but not a hand out.  This is my truth.  What's yours?

Artwork by ~ Amy Redditt

No comments:

Post a Comment