Friday, September 12, 2014

The Silent Majority (Part 1)

Posted by Sheldon Redditt on 09/12/2014

I dedicate this post to my daughter, Hayden.  I pray that she finds her voice and will never be a part of the silent majority.




"The Silent Majority", just thinking about the title and I get emotional. The silent majority, the group that holds the most power. If this group would just speak out and act, they could change the world. I decided I wanted to explore this topic because of conversations I have had with friends. But, more importantly, this is my reaction to the calls and texts that both myself and my wife received, regarding my last two blogs and the comments that followed.  These friends of ours were very opinionated but chose to sit in partial silence.  I'm reacting to my friends that act like they really want positive change. And, I truly believe that they do, but like most, they've become accustomed to being comfortable and sitting in silence.  I say act like, because if you truly want change, you would do the necessary actions it takes to produce that change. But back to what I was saying, they had very strong opinions, but when I asked them, "Why don't you speak out about it and let your voice be heard?", 9 out of 10 of them would say the same thing. "I don't want to get involved in that.  I don't want to cause any waves. I don't want people to look at me differently. I got too much to lose."  Or the big one, "It's not gonna change anything and the moment people see that I don't agree with them it turns into a big argument so what's the point?"  I hear this so much and it saddens me because for far too long we have given all the power to the minority. The minority gets to make all the laws and rules. The minority also gets to change those same rules that they set if they suddenly don't mesh with their agenda.  While the majority just sit and complain without doing anything about it. And that's what the minority count on.

I remember reading a speech by Mark Twain that said, over 70 percent of white people disagreed with lynching of blacks in the South.  I want you to think about that number for a moment. 70 percent. So, that means that the minority were the ones making all the rules, enforcing them and executing the crimes. But you know why? Because that 70 percent, the silent majority, chose for whatever reason not to speak up or do anything. Just think what the outcome would have been had they spoken up. How many lives could have been saved? 

Also, it brings me back to Ferguson, MO; where the town is made up of almost 70 percent black residents but the minority of the population make all the rules. There are one or two black police officers and one city councilman. The towns' 70 percent are not accurately being represented.  These people have spoken amongst themselves about the injustices well before the Michael Brown situation, but chose not to do anything other than talk.  What would have happened if they would have gone to the polls and voted or found a candidate that could've lent their voice, regarding the towns' people's needs and wants. Just maybe, maybe, the Michael Brown incident wouldn't have happened.

In America, we are a reactive people rather than proactive people.  When things like this happen, we are in an uproar for awhile and then it's back to business as usual or on to the next bandwagon.  But what could happen if the silent majority, not only spoke up, but acted on their own behalf as well? Imagine the impact we might see.

Our job is to leave this Earth in a better state than it was in when we got here.  If we truly want the next generation to be on an even playing field and have all the same opportunities, whether they are Black, White, Hispanic or Asian; the silent majority needs to rise up peacefully, be heard and get out and make an impact. Gone should be the day that a politician should assume that they have your vote, whether you are Black, White, Democrat or Republican, just because of the color of their skin or their party affiliation.  They should be expected to EARN it.  Tell me what real change has ever come from silence, the blame game or trying to remain comfortable.  If you don't take but one thing from this; use your voice.  People have given their lives for you to have that privilege. Don't let their sacrifice be in vain. This is my truth.  What is yours? 

2 comments:

  1. Sheldon this is Derick. I agree it does seem the norm of our society to pass the buck or kick the can down the road (like 16 trillion or so). However, our society either doesn't realize that the road will eventually come to a dead end or that future generations will have to pay for it. One thing I think would change the game would be is every American thought or believed NO politician (President, Congress, or Senate) receive any type of payment like salaries or insurance until a BALANCED budget is passed. Start with the essentials and work down. I have to use a monthly budget. If I am make $2000 a month I can not spend $2400 a month (so why can the government). Plus, people are scared if I say something I will be label a bigot or racist. This last election and previous ones you heard Mitt will destroy social security, slash welfare, cut entitlements, ship out illegals, and etc. On the flip side you heard Obama would bankrupt the country, provide amnesty to illegals, slash the military, dramatically increase the welfare dependents, and etc. Supporters on both sides sent back idle and some didn't even bother to cast a vote. It angers me to know when I look at my children who are 6 and 8 that amount of challenges and difficulties that MY generation caused for them. People mind set in today's society is they want something for nothing or free. I wish people would understand that there is no such thing as "free lunch" or "free healthcare". About 41 percent of Americans who actually pay taxes are paying for it. Americans are going to have stand up and say no on things or this great nation will become a third country.The situations like in Ferguson in my opinion is direct result of social warfare and by divided Americans by politicians for the last twenty or thirty years. You always hear things like don't vote for him he cut welfare, destroy social security, he is rich how does he know what you go through in middle or low class, and etc. After the election and America has been pitted against each other now lets come together as one and that seems funny to me. I also agree enough people don't speak up or voice their opinion unless it is concerning things like the right to bear arms, freedom of religion, or the alternative life style push. However, concerning the alternative life style push it seems that the silent ones has decided to start voicing their voices. They voiced their opinions and showed support Chick-fil-a and Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty was being attacked by the LGBT community.They said enough is enough provide perhaps the busiest day ever for Chick-Fil-a and their voice force A&E to kept Duck Dynasty on their network. I wish people would have a stronger voice when it comes to Christianity in this country. We are so worried about offending someone or being sued we cave in every time without saying NO. People of the Christian faith needs to start voicing their opinions more often. Hopefully I didn't get to far off topic but I think that not speaking up goes hand and hand with our generation of politicians and religion beliefs.

    ReplyDelete