Sunday, September 7, 2014

Why are whites considered racists when they openly share their opinionsand black people are at liberty to speak freely without being labelleda RACIST?

 I  have had conversations with my friends, both black and white, regarding the tragedy in Ferguson, Missouri.  I found myself intrigued by the fact that my black friends were very open and honest about how they felt but my white friends on the other hand were not. As I continued to question them on how they really felt about the situation they all began to say the same thing. My white friends all explained to me that they don't like to vocalize their opinions on issues such as Ferguson because they believe that if they express how they really feel, they would be called racists. One of my friends went on to tell me, "Sheldon, just because my skin is white, people think I'm racist period."  He said, "now I know I don't understand how hard it is being a black man in America, but I do know that if I go to fire a employee, who happens to be black, for poor performance I am called a racist. If I'm in traffic and I happen to cut someone off by mistake or have road rage, I am a white racist mother fucker."  He went on and on, but my point is this, we should all be able to speak our minds and not be labelled racist. I know there are white people that are racists and I know black people that are racists too.  YES, BLACK PEOPLE CAN BE RACISTS TOO.  I repeatedly hear, that black people can't be racists because racism is based on power and money.  Since a great majority of blacks in America aren't a part of the upper echelon, it is impossible for them to be racist.  That is the stupidest crap I have ever heard. Most racists people hate simply because of skin color period and a lot of them don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. I know black people that hate white people because they are white period and I know white people who hate blacks because of skin color as well.

Ok let's get to the root of the problem, I always want to be open and honest, but at the end of the day, I want to offer real solutions. I read a comment that was made on the blog, that the reason why whites are racists is because of their 2000 years of oppression of blacks and others throughout history. I am so sick of this cop out. Yes, slavery was a terrible thing that should NEVER be forgotten, but at what point do we stop blaming white people today for something that their great-great-great grandparents did. That's equivalent to my having to pay for a crime my son committed, or better yet, someone's grandchild being incarcerated for a crime they committed in 1945, it's stupid. If we are gonna be honest, let's be real honest. Black people sold their own people into slavery in the first place, now at first, they may have not known that white people's definition of slavery was totally different from indentured servitude, but after they found out, it was CHATTEL SLAVERY.  They still sold their own people into slavery to white people because of greed. So, we could play the blame game all day but where has that gotten us??? If we are to have REAL change in this World, both sides should be able to express their thoughts and opinions without being judged. 

What happened to Michael Brown, in Ferguson, Missouri, was a tragedy but all the facts aren't known and if we are INNOCENT until proven GUILTY, let the facts come out first. I can understand both sides because I am black and also a former Cop and at the end of the day we are trained to go home the same way you came to work, unharmed. And that's the first law of nature, self preservation.  Now, we know there was a altercation between them, but other than that, we don't know what happened. In the words of my good friend Tobey, "I questioned his judgement but I don't think that officer went to work with the intent to kill a black man."  It's very tragic but just as blacks are outraged over this, we should also be outraged over black on black crime and all crimes to anyone. White people should be able to express their honest opinions without fear of being labelled.  It's unfair for it be a one sided monologue all of the time. I think the solution to this issue could be solved simply by having all officers wear body cameras. I think that would protect both the officer and the person they are arresting. That's my take on it. What are your thoughts??????

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, are you tired of Jews talking about the holocaust? Or Israeli occupations, invasion of countries, and murderers of Palestinian kids?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Racism isn't about opinions!!! It's systemic (historical structural and institutional) ...those are FACTS! Whites can express their opinions on black communities, culture, behavior, education all day long, but understand there is a difference...one is perception and the other is REALITY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.....Really bro? It's a cop out and a load of crap? You are sick of blacks talking about racism but you are not tired of us living it? I'm open for debate because we can discuss facts, but I'm not going to argue just to see whose opinion is right or wrong from an emotional stance. A lot of your 'judgment’ on race relations towards blacks are bias and unfounded, and you sound like a white person that’s doesn’t want to acknowledge history, and the present. You would rather charge it to the sins of their ancestors, and provide narratives such as; that happened centuries ago, get over it, we should forget and ‘do better’, and we sold ourselves into slavery. Regarding slavery, it is more than a physical bondage that happened over 200 years ago to many American blacks, browns (including some Jews)...By the way, slavery is not even 2% of African history.
    Michael Brown case: The focus should be on the action not the reaction. The fact that you stated 'wait until we get all the facts' is racist itself, and you don't even know it. You show me anywhere in US history where a black cop killed a white kid/teen, and the reaction was 'wait until we get all the facts'...No, that black cop would be arrested, identified, and he would become the focus not the white kid that was unarmed and allegedly committed a crime. I am awestruck by the fact that you and a few black people like you, and some white people continue to make their a historical and inaccurate multiple rants of irritations, solely for the purpose of derailing and centering the conversation on black reactions to racism with personal narratives and on the area where they do not experience oppression. Just because you are tired of blacks talking about racism, doesn’t give you the right or anyone to determine or select what racism is, and does not change the historical structural, institutional and systemic racism are then and now. Period!! You or anyone else doesn’t get to come to a decision of what it is, opposed to what people of colour actually experience it as …. White supremacy!! I’m offended that you or anyone thinks that blacks carry oppression to their advantage…? That’s ridiculous!! What do we gain from it? You say you do not want HATE on your blog, but the topic itself is relative to HATE!! As long as whites (a few blacks) continue to think we are punishing them for their ancestor’s deed, we will never get ANYWHERE!! When whites (a few blacks too) are really ready to talk about racism honestly and factually, then we can move forward together by finding a solution. They say that the new racism is to deny racism existence or claim reverse racism (smdh).

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way what happened to my post the other day? You replied to it with today's post...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW I knew my first post to my blog yesterday would ruffle a few feathers. I think that is a good thing because it sparks real dialogue. Most of the comments were what I expected and some not so much. I have to clear up a few things. First, let me start by saying I never said or suggested that Black people should forget about slavery or that I was sick of hearing about it. That is plain foolish. Secondly, I know my history very well, in fact I don't think there are too many people that could debate history with me and win. Not being arrogant, that's just the truth. But, this wasn't intended to be a history lesson for anybody, i was simply asking the question, why can't white people speak their mind with the same comfort as blacks, without getting a label. I will cover all kinds of topics, race, religion, politics, homosexuality, sagging pants, tattoos and anything else that I can think of to discuss. But again, i just want to know why white people get a label for being open.
    To suggest that I have sold out or that I have self hate, really? I started this blog to get people to start talking about how they really feel. To openly discuss the conversations that they have behind closed doors. Those are the conversations I want to hear. I fully understand the Willie Lynch syndrome and the effects it's has had on Black People to this very day. I truly understand that racism still exists, I live it everyday. Life is about evolving. The point I was trying to make is we need to have real change and to have that, we have to be honest about our true thoughts. No, the Jews shouldn't forget about the holocaust, no more than we should forget about slavery, but we could take a page from their book. Now to the Michael Brown tragedy. All I simply said is we don't know all the facts, now I don't understand how that was a racist statement. Now let's say the roles were reversed and it was a black police officer and a white teen and white people were outraged and wanted so called justice before all the facts were known, Most black people, including myself would be saying wait a minute what happened to Innocent until proven Guilty. Let's let all the facts come out before we crucify this guy in the media. Let's give this guy the same consideration as we would want. You can't ask for justice for one but not for all. Go to the blog and please leave your comments. This is what I was hoping for a dialogue amongst everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truth1 --
    I don’t have the time, nor the energy to articulate some long drawn out response. That said, you asked for one instance in U.S. history where a black police officer killed a white youth and the reaction was “wait until we get all the facts” – Google Dillon Taylor and you will see that this exact scenario happened just last month in Utah. Naturally, the media didn’t latch onto this story, but the fact is, contrary to your erroneous proclamation, this unfortunate situation occurs to both blacks and whites.
    To your point, racism is absolutely still alive and clearly, I have absolutely no idea what it means to be a black man in today’s society. Still, I agree with Sheldon in that pulling the racial card at every opportunity not only gets old, but it truly dilutes the validity of the argument.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the original post. I am confident in the fact that I am not a racist. Nevertheless, the minute I or any other white person calls into question the actions of a black person, we are automatically mislabeled as a racist. In my humble opinion, this immediate and generally unfounded retort is frequently just a cop out due to not wanting to own up to your own shortcomings as an individual, not as a minority.
    With all that said, as I indicated above, there is unquestionably validity to your argue and I recognize racism (and reverse racism) still exists in the minds of many and likely always will to some degree. But I think the point of the post was that it is baseless, unfair, and juvenile to automatically label any white person a racist when they vocalize their opinions about a black person. Moreover, I have absolutely no sympathy for those minorities who continue to use the racial card as a crutch and an excuse as oppose to putting in the effort and letting the merits of their work speak for themselves.
    The Michael Brown situation was obviously a tragedy. Prayers to his friends, family, and others directly related by his loss.


    Ryan Boyce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disregard the typos above (argue should be argument and related should be affected). No idea how to edit the post once it has been submitted.

    Ryan Boyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-youve-never-heard-of-dillon-taylor_092014

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that info, Ryan. I think you just validated Sheldon's question & point to the fullest extent. The link above is in reference to Dillon Taylor, a white & Latino 20 year old that was shot and killed by a black cop, toe days after Michael Brown. I too, had never heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was posted on another site in reference to the blog... I thought he made some good points, so I'm sharing...I read This one the other day. He is exactly right. Things can not and will not change until there is an open and honest dialog on issues of race, parenting, so on and so forth. I don't shy away from topics or subjects. Some of the best conversations I have had on the issues are with black friends. Most who know me are like engaging and comparing views but you can tell some of my friends and co workers are taken back at first if you have an opinion. I also find it funny when you speak of "welfare" or "entitlements" and people automatically assume you are being "racist". You have to stop and remind people that millions and millions of whites are on welfare. It seems "racist" to me for your mind to instantly go there when the topic comes up. Sadly things will not get better until we can openly all talk about it. I do love his blog though.

    ReplyDelete